Frequently Asked Questions
What can I expect from this tour?
- Theatrical productions that you’ll talk about for years!
- Immersion in world theatre in unique world theatre sites
- Sharing and expansion of theatre appreciation and knowledge
- Investigation and familiarisation with dramatic texts
- Conversations about productions: historical and socio-political context as well as current interpretations
- Visits to historical sites that inform dramatic texts
- Exotic R&R so you’re not rushing from one place to the next
- Opportunity to explore at leisure
- A dedicated tour guide to ensure you derive the best possible experience.
What makes this tour different?
- Uniquely crafted for maximum immersion in world theatre productions in world theatre sites
- Small group travel with like-minded theatre lovers
- Discovery of the essence and creation of theatre in relation to literature, archeology and place
- Dedicated, theatre-loving tour guides
- Unique ‘See the World and See World Theatre’ travel as distinct from commercial tourism
- Dedicated leisure time for individual relaxation or further exploration
When do the tours start/leave?
Our 10-day pilgrimages of Greece set off on 30 June, and 11 July, 2016.
Our full 21-day pilgrimage sets off on 11 July, 2016.
We’re reserving places now for 2016. Small groups only (10 -15 people) to ensure your unique and engaging experience. Contact us for more information!
Who is this tour designed for?
Our tour is exclusively designed and offered for those with a:
- love of theatre & curiosity about theatre history
- love of Epicurian pursuit
- love of the exotic – Greece, Portugal, Spain
- love of off-the-beaten-track travel
- love of summer 30 -35 in inland Spain, 29 Barcelona; 35 in Athens; 29 in Lisbon. (lower temperatures elsewhere).
- love of culture and desire to find out more about theatre, literature, fine arts, history,mythology,architecture, archeology
- love of gastronomy
- love of adventure
- love of foreign language
- love of colour: sea, sky, landscape and flora
Sound like you? Contact us for more info and to arrange a custom quote.
What’s included in the pricing?
The tour includes:
- 4-star accommodation with daily breakfast
- Meals as per itinerary
- A-Reserve tickets (where applicable) for theatre performances
- Comfortable air-conditioned coach transportation
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- All transfers during the tour as per itinerary.
What’s not included in the pricing?
The following is not included in the tour pricing:
- International airfares*
- Transfers on arrival and departure if not travelling in group flights*
- Items of a personal nature (e.g. telephone, laundry, minibar etc.)
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Optional gratuities
- Meals not specified in the itinerary
*Please note our affiliate travel partner, Hampton Travel & Cruise is able to facilitate all international flights and transfers.
Contact us for further information and/or to help with your planning. We really want to talk to you!
Are there additional costs?
- There are no additional costs on this unique tour.
- You will however, want to account for additional spending money for your own individual activities and interests. Leisure time is built into the tour when you might want to take advantage of the unique offerings of food, wine, artisan crafts, shopping and more!
What do I need to bring?
- good, sensible walking shoes
- a love of summer (27 -32 degrees in Greece) and the outdoors
- a wide-brimmed sun hat
- ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
- a good, wide-brimmed sense of humour.
Why see Greek Theatre in Greece?
- For many theatre lovers, seeing Greek theatre in Greece ranks highly on their bucket list. Our tour is about exploring the authentic, the historic and the sensational.
- Immersion in the culture, the atmosphere and the origins of the spirit of theatre.
- Just sitting in the most famous amphitheatre in the world alongside 14,000 other people to watch a Greek tragedy in Greek is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It is beyond description, you’ve just got to do it!
- Our appreciation of the play being presented is heightened by our prior exploration of the text along with the historical, geographical, cultural and religious context that inform the playwriting. So as well as having a sensational or emotional response to the work, we will also have an intellectual understanding of the piece.
- It is also useful to know that many plays are presented with English surtitles.
What if I can’t speak any of the languages?
Can’t speak Greek, Portuguese or Spanish?
Brenda says ‘Neither can I. Did I let that stop me? Not one bit, in fact it added to the adventure, because I knew that good theatre, like good music could transcend language! And more than that I had the thrill of testing my meagre language skills everywhere I went and the locals loved it!’
Plus, we have local guides to help you.
What places do we visit?
See an overview of all the places on our tour page, or contact us for more information and a day-by-day breakdown.
What is the tour guide’s background
Brenda Addie is the tour director of All The World’s A Stage Theatre Tours. World travel and world theatre are Brenda’s passions and these two cultural and performance elements combined bring an exciting opportunity to indulge and inspire all of your senses in her personally guided tours.
Brenda’s professional career has involved a long, varied, and international contribution to theatre, film and television as an actor, writer, producer, director and dramaturg.